This is my first chicken recipe post. Butter chicken is spicy delicious mouth watering chicken cooked in rich gravy .
At my home, non veg is a rare thing, being primarily vegetarian me and my dad are the only ones who eat chicken. so cooking chicken is a big deal since my mom does not allow it to be cooked in Kitchen, Luckily we have enough place in the backyard where we cook non veg once in a while,my dad carries a stove(only used for non veg) and few utensils that we have 😀 But it is fun!
Let’s begin without wasting much time-
- Chicken cut into medium pieces- 1/2 kg
- Butter- 1 to 2 tsp.
- oil- 1 cup.
- Tomatoes chopped- 2
- Onion- 4 ; 2 chopped
- Green Chili- 4
- Ginger- 1 small sized or 2 tsp paste.
- Garlic- 2
- Red chili powder- 2 tsp.
- Cumin powder- 2 tsp.
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp.
- Bay leaf (optional)
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves (optional)
- Cashew nuts (optional)
- Curry powder- 1 tsp. or Meat masala (easily available in market)
- Garam masala-
Black cardamom- 1/2
Green cardamom- 3
Black and white peppercorns- 1/3 tsp
- wash chicken well and marinate it with salt and turmeric powder.
- Roast Garam masala ingredients for a min and then grind them well to make a paste.
- Make paste of 1 onion,garlic and ginger. Keep aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil and fry the marinated chicken well. Not for too long although till it is light golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Now In a skillet, heat oil, add cumin seeds and bay leaf, fry chopped onion till golden brown, make a slit between green chili, add it, fry cashew nuts (optional), add the paste of onion garlic and ginger, fry for a minute or so or till golden brown.Now add all the other ingredients to it except oil and butter.
- Fry everything for 30 seconds. Add the fried chicken. Mix well and cook it covered for 5 to 10 mins. on sim, if you want you can add little water so that the paste does not stick to the bottom.
- Just when you are done and the chicken is well cooked, add butter.
- serve it hot with Rice, chapati or bread.