Today I have another Recipe coming right from Rajasthani cuisine, Gatta curry or Gatte ki sabzi which is small square dumplings made of chickpeas in a rich spicy curry. It is a main course Dish and is usually served with Chapati or Rice. I really like the taste of the curry but making the dumplings was a challenging task and I took my mother’s help.
For Dumplings/ gatta
- Chickpeas -1 cup
- salt to taste
- Red chili powder
- Garlic clove- 2 (crush using mortar-pestle)
- Cumin and pepper powder- 1/2 tsp.
For the curry
- Curry powder or coriander,cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds
- Tomatoes chopped- 1
- onion chopped- 1
- Red chili- 2
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- Turmeric powder
- Garlic Chili paste- 1 tsp.
- Curd/ coconut/potato (optional)
- For garnishing- Mint leaves/ coriander leaves (optional)
Gatta/ Dumplings– Make a batter of all the ingredients except oil and In a pan, heat 1 tsp of oil. Pour the batter into the pan and on medium heat allow it to thicken. Keep stirring intermittently. Once it is well cooked and thick, Pour it over a well greased plate and allow to cool.
Once it sets, cut it into square pieces. Heat oil in pan and fry them till golden brown like below-
Let us Make the curry now.
- Heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds/cumin seeds,red chili, chopped onion and tomatoes.Fry them for a min. or till the onion is golden brown.
- If you want to add the curd, you can, I do not prefer curd once i add tomatoes. To thicken the gravy you can either use mashed boiled potatoes or coconut paste. I have used mashed boiled potatoes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, fry them for a min. and add water. On medium heat, cook the curry mix till the oil starts to appear on surface or till it is thick.
- One by one dip the dumplings and we are done.
- Garnish it and serve it hot with Rice,bread or chapati.