If wondering what is Dry fish, well let me first clear that, it is basically not a dried fish. It however is a fish wrapped in spicy paste which is dry and not curry like. I hear this term a lot in the restaurants. It is common here although may be not common abroad.
I have always posted recipes for Vegetarian food.This is my first non-veg recipe.
- Fish- 1 pc.
- salt to taste
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp.
- Chili Powder-1/2 tsp.
- Pepper powder-1/3 tsp.
- coriander powder- 1 tsp.
- Garlic cloves-3 to 4
- Ginger-1 tsp.
- Mustard seeds(black one)-1/3 tsp.
- Mustard seeds(yellow one)-1 tsp.
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp.
- coriander leaves chopped
- Wash the fish very well. Marinate with salt and turmeric powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in skillet and fry the fish till golden brown on both sides.
- Grind all the ingredients except fish,mustard leaves and black mustard leaves, to make paste.
- Either you can use Tawa or the skillet.
- In case of tawa,spread oil over the surface, wrap the paste around the fish piece well on both sides and cook on both sides on tawa on low flame. Heat 1 tsp.oil in a pan and allow black mustard seeds to crackle, now pour it over the fried fish.
- In skillet, heat oil , add the black mustard seeds, allow to crackle, now add the paste and fry till golden brown, add fish to it and wrap the paste all around it properly.
- Curry leaves are optional. You may also use them instead of coriander leaves.
- Garnish the dry fish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with bread,chapati or rice.