Colocasia Leaves or arbi patte fritters are made of edible colocasia leaves which can be home grown or bought from market.In some parts of India like uttar Pradesh, these are also known as rikwach and in Maharashtra and Gujarat, people refer to these as Patrode or patra. Colocasia leaves are very good source of dietary proteins, fibers, vit. A, folate, riboflavin, niacin, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and vit. B6. Considering its nutritional value, this is a must try recipe. However, only problem associated with these leaves are their irritating nature due to the presence of raphides and protease. (Know more)
Read also : how to grow taro plant
Colocasia leaves fritters/pakode Recipe
1 cup chickpeas flour
1 tsp Garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder( if you want it spicy,you can add more)/you can also use green chili.
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp rice flour
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/3 tsp mango powder/tamarind paste/lemon juice.
- Prepare the batter first, take a bowl, add water to the above mentioned ingredients for the batter.Mix well, first add half cup water and mix the ingredients well, then add a little more to make a thick batter.Batter should be not thin,in case you made it thin,add more chickpeas flour. I always start with little water and keep adding more till I get the desired consistency.
- Take washed Colocasia leaf, apply the batter we made earlier on it evenly. Next, take another leaf and keep it on the first leaf like below. Apply batter on it. In the same way keep placing leaves on one another till a layer of 6 to 7 leaves is achieved.
- Next start rolling all the leaves together. Tie using a thread like below.
- Put it in the steamer and if you do not have a steamer you can put water in your skillet and adjust a spoon in it like the one in the picture below.
- keep your roll in steamer for 15 minutes, It should be well cooked before you take it out. Allow it to cool down.
- cut the roll into slices.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Dip the slices into the remaining batter and fry them till golden brown.
- Colocasia leaves fritters are ready.
- Alternatively you can also fry the slices as they are or enjoy them in curry.
( Recipe courtesy : My Mother. )